THE SCHOOL AND THE IDEAL
It was realized by Swami Vivekananda that the rejuvenation of India was not possible without the proper education of her women. Even before starting the Belur Math, he was planning to start a centre where girls could be educated on national lines. Sister Nivedita's noble heart was quick to respond to his suggestion to work for Indian women and she dedicated her life to the cause. Early in 1898, Sister Nivedita (Miss Margaret E. Noble) came to India to help Swami Vivekananda to carry out his plans. On 13 November, 1898, the auspicious day of Kali Puja, the school was opened by the Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi, in the presence of Swami Vivekananda and some of his brother disciples. It was then tentatively started and finally in 1902 turned into a regular school. In 1903, Sister Christine, an American disciple of the Swami joined her in the work. Their combined sincere efforts soon overcame all the obstacles and the school not only continued to impart education to the girls, but under the personal influence of the Sisters, a devoted band of their students was ready to co-operate with them and dedicate their lives to the cause. Unfortunately, in October 1911, Sister Nivedita passed away. The school then had to experience many difficulties. As it was, however, the school pulled itself through this critical period by the grace of the Holy Mother. Sister Christine carried on the work till she left India in
1914. Later, Sister Sudhira, one of the earliest Indian ladies to renounce hearth and home to help the Sisters, came forward to shoulder the entire responsibility of the institution. Since then the institution, nurtured by a
band of self sacrificing lady workers, has passed through various stages and gradually evolved into its present form.
The school which was a branch centre of the Ramakrishna Mission since 1918, was transferred on 9 August, 1963, to the Ramakrishna Sarada Mission, Dakshineswar and henceforward has been known as the branch centre of that organization. The management of the school is entrusted to a Managing Committee appointed by the Governing Body of the Ramakrishna Sarada Mission.